BodyMellow, Corporeal Cream Dream
To paraphrase RuPaul, “if you can’t take care of yourself, how the hell you gonna take care of somebody else? Can I get an Amen up in here?!”
Self-care is a learned skill, and it is absolutely essential. Often, it’s just about finding time to do the little things to lavish a few extra moments on yourself. A great place to start, is when you’re already taking a little me-time: in or around the shower.
I just made a batch of this amazing body butter that whips up more like frosting and, once in a jar, looks like marshmallows; I call it BodyMellow. Yes, loaded with rich organic emollients and lavender scent it’s like a spa treatment right at home. It’s a cinch to make, if you have a little patience and the right equipment.
Shea Butter (cut into 1 inch cubes) ½ cup
Coconut Oil ½ cup
Favorite massage oil (jojoba, avocado, almond, etc.) ½ cup
Soothing essential oil(s) 30+ drops
- Place the shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler (Pyrex bowl over a pot of boiling water) to melt. You can skip the measuring cup for the shea butter if you get the 1 lb. block above, just cut it in half, then cut the half in half – presto! 4 oz.
- Once just melted, remove the oils from heat completely by pouring it off into another container (try to use one that will hold at least 2 cups). Let sit for an episode of Grace and Frankie.
- Add in the massage oil and essential oils. Be careful of how much essential oil you add, especially if you’re going to use this cream to really pamper yourself, * winknudgewithelbow*
- Let mixture partially solidify (I let mine fully solidify in the freezer and it extended the next step). Pop it into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes, but keep an eye on it. You’ll want to see it sinking in the middle with a cloudy semi-solid ring around the edge.
- Using a kitchen mixer with the whisk attachment, whip it good! Extra points if you sing a little Devo to your cream. If you want a really even consistency, take the time to let it whip (insert Dazz Band here) for about 30 seconds, then scrape down the sides, and repeat those two steps until delicious fluffiness is achieved. While optional, it has been my experience that singing and dancing to your creations improves satisfaction by 300% (science).
- Here’s the best part. If you have the time, marinade in a hot bath before frosting your bod in your freshly whipped cream. If not, go a little bolder with the loofah in your next morning shower, then slather yourself in some of this fab stuff before you slip into a robe while handling some other business (hair, makeup, meditation, planning to take over the world, the usual). Enjoy YOU featuring some seriously supple skin.